Definition of dandified in English:
1(Of a man) showing excessive concern about his clothes or appearance.
- To complete the dandified gentleman look: a camel suit, driving gloves and pony-skin loafers.
- Brooks was clearly amused by her friend's dandified appearance, bone-thin in foppish drag, complete with masculine-cut jacket, high collar, monocle, bobbed hair and imperiously arched eyebrows.
- Gangs of youths sauntered along, yelling randomly at other pedestrians and dressed in peculiarly dandified clothes contrasting with a partiality for working-man's boots.
1.1Self-consciously sophisticated or elaborate: he writes a dandified prose
More example sentences
- One imagines Dumas's young men about town affecting the same dandified, Anglophile pose.
- They regarded cigarettes as effete, dandified, even faintly foreign.
- Whether performing on stage or off, Astaire, like Marshall / Monescu and other dandified leading men, created an aesthetic of performance and fastidious elegance.
Definition of dandified in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India