- A small Eurasian shrub with sweet-scented flowers and, typically, evergreen leaves.
More example sentences
- Genus Daphne, family Thymelaeaceae: several species, including mezereon and spurge laurel
- Camellias and sweet-smelling daphnes and jasmines often bloom in February in the south.
- In front of the large shrubs are winter-blooming daphne and hellebores, ferns, ‘Pia’ dwarf hydrangeas, and a red laceleaf Japanese maple.
- Winter daphne blooms in clusters of highly fragrant, light purple flowers in late winter or spring.
late Middle English (denoting the laurel or bay tree): from Greek daphnē, from the name of the nymph Daphne.
More definitions of DaphneDefinition of daphne in:
- The British & World English dictionary