- The cycle of reactions (the Calvin cycle) that occurs in the second phase of photosynthesis and does not require the presence of light. It involves the fixation of carbon dioxide and its reduction to carbohydrate and the dissociation of water, using chemical energy stored in ATP.More example sentences
- At low temperatures, the balance between photosynthetic energy conversion and consumption is disturbed, because the dark reactions of photosynthesis are more strongly retarded than energy absorption and electron flow.
- The contribution of the dark reaction to the overall rate of the light reaction is negligible.
- After several minutes of incubation a dark reaction began to be appreciable in the roots, and pictures were immediately obtained.
More definitions of dark reactionDefinition of dark reaction in:
- The British & World English dictionary