- A shrubby annual plant with large trumpet-shaped flowers, native to southern North America. Daturas contain toxic or narcotic alkaloids and are used as hallucinogens by some American Indian peoples. See also angel's trumpet.
More example sentences
- Genus Datura, family Solanaceae: several species, including the jimson weed
- Despite its name, Eryngium Blue from DT Brown is not a sea holly but a bright-blue datura or jimson weed.
- At the end, the Indian heroine commits suicide by biting a poisonous datura flower because her British lover is deserting her.
- You also might consider a gardenia, white-flowering duranta, white datura (can trigger allergy) and ‘Ducher,’ an antique white rose, for sun.
modern Latin, from Hindi dhatūrā.
More definitions of daturaDefinition of datura in:
- The British & World English dictionary