Definition of daube in English:
A stew of meat, typically beef, braised slowly in wine.
- When I left university, vaguely aware that things were moving on, I found Elizabeth David and tried to make boeuf bourguignon and daubes without success.
- My main course was a daube of beef on a bed of creamed potatoes, with glazed vegetables and a sweet jus.
- Beef with carrots was braised to a deep, glossy brown, like a daube, but was a bit on the ragged side and less melting than would be perfect.
- (Of meat) braised slowly in wine.Example sentences
- Meat cooked ‘en daube’ is usually braised in red wine stock with root vegetables and herbs.
- The cooked foodstuff was then removed to be eaten ‘dry’ (without the sauce) and often cold. If the food was eaten in its sauce, it ceased to be en daube and became en compote.
- Beef is often prepared as a stew called boeuf en daube with vegetables being a main staple served as a gratin, in salads or stuffed with meat.
Words that rhyme with daubeenrobe, globe, Job, lobe, probe, robe, strobe
Definition of daube in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.