Unskilled labor paid by the day.
- Thousands of immigrants scratch out a meager living in gardening, day labor, factory and farm work, and babysitting.
- Delinquent children in these houses of refuge performed day labor, toiling at tasks such as tailoring and silver plating.
- In the far-northern city of Harbin, grubby men loiter on street corners, soaking up the coal-scented air and looking for day labor.
day laborer noun
- Example sentences
- I want work,’ commented one Latin American day laborer criticizing the proposed ordinance.
- The story concerns itself with a middle-aged, nearly disabled day laborer in economically depressed upstate New York.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: day la·bor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.