- 1The natural light of the day: there were two hours of daylight left [as modifier]: the daylight hoursMore example sentences
- Because we had only oil lamps for light I only worked during daylight hours.
- She stared at the dancing flames for hours, daylight passing to twilight and then to darkness.
- They also recommend hunters check out the land during daylight hours to identify public footpaths and other obvious dangers.
- 1.1The first appearance of light in the morning; dawn: I returned at daylightMore example sentences
- The next morning at first daylight we prepared the cars, we packed our bags, we got ready to leave the hotel.
- It wasn't until daylight this morning, I found that a window in my front door had been badly cracked.
- I definitely wanted the animal out of my driveway before daylight and the Monday morning carpool.
- 1.2Visible distance between one person or thing and another: • figurative their views on education are so close that it’s difficult to see daylight between them the growing daylight between himself and the leading jockeyMore example sentences
- Brent Peters' men finally put some daylight between the two sides in the 90th minute.
- Garryowen responded quickly and two tries and a penalty put daylight between the teams.
- Joe McCann and Sean McDermott continued to score vital baskets to keep daylight between the teams.
- 2 (daylights) Used to emphasize the severity or thoroughness of an action: my father beat the living daylights out of them he can scare the living daylights out of a cinema audience[from daylights meaning 'eyes', hence 'any vital organ']More example sentences
- The film looks like jolly fun, but includes images that will scare the daylights out of little kids.
- It turned out to be nothing, but scared the daylights out of me.
- Why are we not working right now to develop their good will prior to our bombing the daylights out of them?
- Begin to understand what was previously puzzling or unclear.More example sentences
- I don't really expect that the white politicians are going to see daylight tomorrow because we have a new national chief.
- It was as if she was seeing daylight for the first time.