- Relating to the properties of things mentioned in an assertion or expression, rather than to the assertion or expression itself. Compare with de dicto.More example sentences
- In defence of this way of reading the de re/de dicto distinction, we can note that a central feature of de re ascriptions is that the object of a de re belief ascription is mentioned outside the scope of the ‘believes…’ clause.
- Since I shall analyze the de re, relational, or transparent sense of ‘perceptually knows’, I shall want to employ, in my analysis, the de re sense of ‘believe’.
- So, for example, sentences like evince what are sometimes called de dicto / de re ambiguities.
Latin, literally 'about the thing'.
More definitions of de reDefinition of de re in:
- The British & World English dictionary