Definition of dead zone in English:
1A place or period in which nothing happens or in which no life exists.
- That excessive fishing and pollution have created giant dead zones in the ocean.
- The research also found that biodiversity loss is tightly linked to declining water quality, harmful algal blooms, ocean dead zones, fish kills, and coastal flooding.
- The increasing level of bioactive nitrogen is also being cited as a cause of dead zones in the ocean due to microbial overgrowth.
1.1An area of the ocean that is depleted of oxygen, frequently due to pollution.
- They knew the flooding would expand the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone.
- Even the oceans are polluted: 7,000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico are a dead zone.
- In the Gulf, a growing hypoxic - oxygen-starved - dead zone is killing shellfish.
2A place where it is not possible to receive a mobile-phone or radio signal.
- My whole house seems to have turned into a wireless dead zone!
- The system offers a nifty solution to dead zones in your house where your cell phone doesn't work.
- Heading off a dead zone, making a cell phone call during the inauguration could be a challenge.
Definition of dead zone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.