A situation in or result of a race in which two or more competitors are exactly even.
- In the event of a dead heat, a draw will take place between the dead heat finalists after the race.
- There was an eight race programme, and the final race ended in a dead heat.
- Coming out of the Democratic Convention, the race was a dead heat.
verb[no object] (dead-heat)
Run or finish a race exactly even.
- Yonaguska won three of his first four starts, including victories in the Flash Stakes at Belmont Park and the Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga Race Course, dead-heating for first with City Zip in the latter race.
- As a kid, I watched Allan Wells and Mike McFarlane dead-heating in the 200m in Brisbane in 1982.
- Penn National Race Course made three superfecta payoffs on Saturday after three horses dead-heated for fourth place in the ninth race, a $3,500 claiming race for a $5,000 purse.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: dead heat
Definition of dead heat in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.