2A law or treaty that has not been repealed but is ineffectual or defunct in practice.
- Why should we develop the common law to make the statute a dead letter?
- In many ways the law has become a dead letter in Israel.
- Some people are of the opinion that the 1689 Bill of Rights is a dead letter, but the law will need to be changed in order for this to be so; and this may be a long and tedious process.
2.1A thing that is impractical or obsolete: theoretical reasoning is a dead letter to a child
More example sentences
- Communism is a dead letter, and nobody wants a return to military dictatorship.
- The socialist objective is a dead letter today, but remember, it was a liability for Labor for a long time.
- Jurisprudence, learning, and religiosity were not dead letters.
Definition of dead letter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.