- The process of calculating one’s position, especially at sea, by estimating the direction and distance traveled rather than by using landmarks, astronomical observations, or electronic navigation methods.More example sentences
- In dead reckoning you estimate distance traveled along a given heading as a function of velocity and elapsed time.
- It was the Greeks who pioneered modern methods of navigating by calculation rather than by dead reckoning.
- At first, crews had to rely on dead reckoning - estimating position by speed, flying time and compass.
More definitions of dead reckoningDefinition of dead reckoning in:
- The British & World English dictionary