- Deliberately impassive or expressionless: answers his phone in a deadpan tone deadpan humorMore example sentences
- Even as her voice drips sarcasm, her deadpan expression doesn't change.
- Looking out over a million square miles or so of Indian Ocean, I kept my expression deadpan.
- But the face expresses the same deadpan ferocity as the film.
adverbBack to top
- In a deadpan manner.More example sentences
- Pollsters themselves, and the media who report their findings deadpan, are partly responsible for this.
- ‘I hope that Roy Keane is not playing,’ says Arveladze deadpan while shifting his gaze.
- I don't think I was prepared for how deadpan funny she is.
verb (deadpans, deadpanning, deadpanned)[with direct speech] Back to top
- Say something amusing while affecting a serious manner: “I’m an undercover dentist,” he deadpannedMore example sentences
- Quizzed on whether he was surprised that Hamilton got the nod ahead of his young lock, the Edinburgh coach dead-panned: ‘I can't possibly comment on that… but yes.
- They cut to a commercial, and when the show came back on, Carson and the bare-chested guests were seated and he looked into the camera and dead-panned, ‘Welcome to Rawhide.’
- Skovdahl dead-panned: ‘That was the kind of goal I used to score.’