Definition of dealer in English:
1A person or business that buys and sells goods: a car dealer
More example sentences
- Like any business, car dealers have only so much money to spend on advertising.
- He is said to have been active as a business consultant and property dealer.
- One, a senior British former soldier and arms dealer, closed his business and left the country.
1.1A person who buys and sells shares, securities, or other financial assets as a principal (rather than as a broker or agent). See also broker-dealer.
- There's no doubt the market thinks so, with dealers marking down its shares a mere 10p to 1620p on this news.
- Under dealer principal Eugene Cranley, the company started up in Glasthule before moving to the present location some years ago.
- Volume in the shares was high - dealers said some small shareholders were selling out but most of the trading was down to institutional shareholders.
1.2 informal A person who buys and sells drugs: he posed as a dealer willing to buy heroin
More example sentences
- The edition, which was expected to fetch up to £10,000, was bought by a book dealer in Bristol.
- Although we bought calves locally for rearing, we sometimes bought them from a dealer in Cheshire.
- The painting of Calais, being sold by a dealer in Hampshire, was also snapped up for the gallery.
2The player who distributes the cards at the start of a game or hand.
- At the beginning of the game, the dealer deals to each player until the deck is exhausted.
- The game begins with the dealer flipping a card face-up in front of the person to his or her left.
- The early surrender rule allows the player to throw in the hand before the dealer checks the hole card for a Blackjack.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- The company has also announced it has bought two Volkswagen dealerships, one in York and one in Hull, for £10 million.
- The survey, by Warranty Direct, found some car dealerships were imposing labour charges almost three times the national average.
- His company is one of the biggest animal dealerships in Munster, buying around 20,000 animals every year.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan