- 1A person or business that buys and sells goods: a car dealerMore example sentences
- Like any business, car dealers have only so much money to spend on advertising.
- He is said to have been active as a business consultant and property dealer.
- One, a senior British former soldier and arms dealer, closed his business and left the country.
- 1.1A person who buys and sells shares, securities, or other financial assets as a principal (rather than as a broker or agent). See also broker-dealer.More example sentences
- There's no doubt the market thinks so, with dealers marking down its shares a mere 10p to 1620p on this news.
- Under dealer principal Eugene Cranley, the company started up in Glasthule before moving to the present location some years ago.
- Volume in the shares was high - dealers said some small shareholders were selling out but most of the trading was down to institutional shareholders.
- 1.2 • informal A person who buys and sells drugs: he posed as a dealer willing to buy heroinMore example sentences
- The edition, which was expected to fetch up to £10,000, was bought by a book dealer in Bristol.
- Although we bought calves locally for rearing, we sometimes bought them from a dealer in Cheshire.
- The painting of Calais, being sold by a dealer in Hampshire, was also snapped up for the gallery.
- 2The player who distributes the cards at the start of a game or hand.More example sentences
- At the beginning of the game, the dealer deals to each player until the deck is exhausted.
- The game begins with the dealer flipping a card face-up in front of the person to his or her left.
- The early surrender rule allows the player to throw in the hand before the dealer checks the hole card for a Blackjack.
- sense 1.More example sentences
- The company has also announced it has bought two Volkswagen dealerships, one in York and one in Hull, for £10 million.
- The survey, by Warranty Direct, found some car dealerships were imposing labour charges almost three times the national average.
- His company is one of the biggest animal dealerships in Munster, buying around 20,000 animals every year.