1An impact or stroke that causes death.
- In the final battle in Cornwall he is slain by Arthur but deals the king his death blow.
- He was laid low ‘by some of the enemy concealed in a room in the palace’ - only a group of men, hiding in a cowardly fashion, could have given the death blow to such a man!
- They included the heroic Lord Francis Villiers who, knocked off his horse, continued fighting with his back against a tree until receiving his death blow.
1.1An event, circumstance, or action that ends something abruptly: it was Galileo Galilei who dealt the death blow to the geocentric theory
More example sentences
- This prohibition on registration of transfer of certain properties has dealt a death blow to the property market in and around Bangalore and kept it in suspended animation.
- But to do nothing is a death blow to Social Security.
- Tsarism could be dealt a death blow if the revolutionary forces were united and determined enough.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: death blow
Definition of death blow in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.