Definition of death blow in English:
1An impact or stroke that causes death.
- In the final battle in Cornwall he is slain by Arthur but deals the king his death blow.
- He was laid low ‘by some of the enemy concealed in a room in the palace’ - only a group of men, hiding in a cowardly fashion, could have given the death blow to such a man!
- They included the heroic Lord Francis Villiers who, knocked off his horse, continued fighting with his back against a tree until receiving his death blow.
1.1An event, circumstance, or action that ends something abruptly: it was Galileo Galilei who dealt the death blow to the geocentric theory
More example sentences
- This prohibition on registration of transfer of certain properties has dealt a death blow to the property market in and around Bangalore and kept it in suspended animation.
- But to do nothing is a death blow to Social Security.
- Tsarism could be dealt a death blow if the revolutionary forces were united and determined enough.
Definition of death blow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan