Definition of death sentence in English:
1 Law A sentence to be put to death for a capital crime.
- If there is no foreign DNA at the crime scene then the death sentence should immediately become a non-option.
- The new law now gives the sentencing judge the choice of imposing either a death sentence or a life sentence for the same crime.
- It is up to the panel of judges to decide whether they will impose the death sentence or a life sentence for me.
1.1A disastrous result or outcome: the market crash was a death sentence for many dot-coms
More example sentences
- Revealing a weak spot was a death sentence, and he had become the sentencer.
- For the chronically disabled Potter, life was a death sentence; but he would have the last word.
- His comments will serve as a death sentence to Americans in the region.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.