Definition of decapod in English:
A crustacean of the order Decapoda, such as a shrimp, crab, or lobster.
- A similar dispersal mechanism has been suggested as responsible for the faunal similarities in mollusks and decapods.
- Limestones of the underlying carbonate ramp sediments are primarily packstones containing numerous foraminiferans but they do not contain decapod fossils.
- It has long been known that the shrimps and lobsters are the most primitive of the decapods and, in fact, have the oldest fossil records.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting decapods.
- No preparation was necessary for the examination of the decapod fossils.
- Detailed work on a series of isolated crustacean limb muscle preparations showed a consistent pattern of innervation among decapod crustaceans.
- Relatively little work has been done recently on decapod faunas from the Middle East.
Definition of decapod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan