Definition of decarboxylate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
1Eliminate a carboxylic acid group from (an organic compound).
- Coproporphyrinogen III is transported to the interior of the mitochondrion, where 2 propionate residues are decarboxylated, yielding vinyl substituents on the 2 pyrrole rings.
- Thus, malate produced following PEP carboxylation is readily decarboxylated and the CO 2 released.
- In this compartment, called the matrix, the pyruvic acid is decarboxylated to a two-carbon acetyl group, releasing a CO 2 molecule, and is enzymatically joined to Coenzyme A, a large carrier molecule.
- Example sentences
- The synthesis of serotonin is a two-step process involving a hydroxylation reaction catalyzed by the enzyme tryptophan - 5-monooxygenase and then a decarboxylation catalyzed by l-amino acid decarboxylase.
- A major source of ammonium, especially in C 3 plants, arises in the mitochondria from the decarboxylation of glycine to serine by the glycine decarboxylase as part of the photorespiratory cycle.
- Acetoacetate can undergo spontaneous decarboxylation to acetone, or be enzymatically converted to b-hydroxybutyrate through the action of b-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase.
Definition of decarboxylate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan