Definition of decarburize in English:
verb[with object] Metallurgy
Remove carbon from (iron or steel); decarbonize.
- His pressure tests burst the steel pipes in a week, revealing that the dense hydrogen had decarburized inner layers to a hard and brittle stuff.
- This long heat treatment increases cost, limits rate of production and decarburizes the surface layer.
- The degree to which a bar may be decarburized depends upon the chemical analysis of the steel.
- Example sentences
- The molybdenum steel is susceptible to decarburisation.
- Laser and electron beam techniques also have been used for hardening selected areas on the surface of pearlitic and ferritic malleable iron castings that are free from decarburization.
- To prevent scaling and surface decarburization during this stage of treatment, it is recommended that a nonoxidizing furnace temperature be maintained using a sealed furnace; a controlled atmosphere may be necessary.
Definition of decarburize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan