Giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading: he put the question with deceptive casualness
More example sentences
- But while it looked easy enough, I soon discovered appearances can be deceptive.
- Today it announced the start of legal action alleging misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Bellamy looks small and slight beside his teammate, but never have appearances been so deceptive.
misleading, illusory, illusionary, specious;
deceitful, duplicitous, fraudulent, counterfeit, underhanded, cunning, crafty, sly, guileful, scheming, treacherous, Machiavellian;
- More example sentences
- Through Ballard's books, you can trace the development of his thoughts on the deceptiveness of appearances.
- The mere hint of evasion or deceptiveness under oath was just too much for him to handle.
- Understandably, Miranda is angry with her parents for their implicit deceptiveness and does not forgive them easily.