Giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading: he put the question with deceptive casualness
More example sentences
- But while it looked easy enough, I soon discovered appearances can be deceptive.
- Today it announced the start of legal action alleging misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Bellamy looks small and slight beside his teammate, but never have appearances been so deceptive.
misleading, illusory, illusionary, specious;
deceitful, duplicitous, fraudulent, counterfeit, underhanded, cunning, crafty, sly, guileful, scheming, treacherous, Machiavellian;
- Example sentences
- Through Ballard's books, you can trace the development of his thoughts on the deceptiveness of appearances.
- The mere hint of evasion or deceptiveness under oath was just too much for him to handle.
- Understandably, Miranda is angry with her parents for their implicit deceptiveness and does not forgive them easily.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.