Definition of declassify in English:
verb (declassifies, declassifying, declassified)[with object]
Officially declare (information or documents) to be no longer secret: government documents were declassified
More example sentences
- The U.S. State Department has just declassified government documents from the mid 1960s.
- It could be a while before the government declassifies information about its ‘secret ‘underground bases there.
- The CIA refuses to declassify the documents involved.
- Example sentences
- But the breathtaking extent of his mendacity has only just become fully apparent, with the declassification of a secret State Department telegram.
- The order amends the previous administration's less restrictive order, which required automatic declassification of most government documents after twenty-five years.
- At the same time, the agency reported, the declassification of government records declined from 100 million pages in 2001 to just 28 million in 2004.
Definition of declassify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan