- 1Convert (a coded message) into intelligible language.More example sentences
- After all, the US had broken Japan's diplomatic codes and could sometimes decode messages faster than the Japanese themselves.
- The British, having broken into the German codes, decoded the telegram.
- In April 1943, America's intelligence decoded a Japanese message that informed them that Yamamoto was going to visit the northern Solomon Islands on April 18th.
- 1.1Analyze and interpret (a verbal or nonverbal communication or image): a handbook to help parents decode street languageMore example sentences
- In her chapter on visual representations of ‘Liberty’, Marina Warner decodes the icons of modern political orders that have become so familiar to us that we rarely think about their meanings.
- Theory can also help historians to interpret and decode visual documents.
- Roland Barthes had been struck by a camionette carrying the kind of advertising he'd analysed and decoded.
- 1.2Convert (audio or video signals) into another form, e.g., to analog from digital in sound reproduction: processors used to decode CD-quality digital audio signalsMore example sentences
- Every time the digitiser ‘listens’ to the music it records a number that will allow that tiny slice of music to be reproduced when the digital audio is decoded and made into analogue music that you can hear.
- For those who don't have cable or satellite TV and don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new set, a converter box will be available to receive and decode digital signals.
- Its ‘brain’ is the processor that decodes the video and audio signal received through the antenna cable into images that can be displayed on the PC monitor.
noun• informal Back to top
- A translation of a coded message.More example sentences
- Instead, 321 pointed customers to separate decode software widely available on the Internet.
- The memory device also includes a counter circuitry coupled to the decode logic circuitry that generates a counter value based on the decoded address.
- Cimarron Technologies will announce the availability of a simultaneous multiple format decode option in their C Plus ANI decoders.
- More example sentences
- At posttesting, D. W. was able to read 70% of the decodable real and nonsense words, in comparison to only 21% at the beginning of intervention.
- But, it wasn't until the late 1800s when archaeological record became severely damaged and almost not decodable.
- Students were taught through a series of decodable text with emphasis on phonics skills and grammar skills practice.