Definition of decompression in English:
1.1Reduction in air pressure: decompression of the aircraft cabin
More example sentences
- An aviation expert added that even a small explosion on board could have been enough to cause decompression and suck people out of the aircraft.
- The plane descended but the reason for decompression could not be found, so the aircraft returned to Oxford.
- This seems like the suggestion of a second-rate Hollywood director, for the single reason that you cannot discharge a firearm in a pressurised environment, because there would be catastrophic decompression.
1.2A gradual reduction of air pressure on a person who has been experiencing high pressure while diving, in order to prevent decompression sickness.
- Deeper and longer diving means more decompression, whichever gas you're breathing.
- Before they return to the surface they will need to undergo a 17-hour decompression in the Aquarius, with atmospheric pressure gradually reduced to that on the surface.
- We discourage dives below 30 meters, especially if decompression stops are required.
1.3The process of expanding computer data to its normal size so that it can be read by a computer.
- Mapping the data prior to decompression reduces the random access memory resources otherwise required.
- The inverse process - decompression - doesn't put any serious load on the memory subsystem.
- I projected how long compression and decompression should take on computers of various speeds by simply scaling actual test results from my 1.7GHz CPU.
1.4A surgical procedure that relieves excessive pressure on an internal part of the body such as the cranium or spinal cord.
- Surgical decompression remains the mainstay of treatment for spinal epidural abscess.
- We report good results from surgical decompression performed in a patient with acute lumbar paraspinal muscle compartment syndrome.
- However, infants with symptoms and signs of increased intracranial pressure require urgent decompression.
Definition of decompression in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan