- A condition that results when sudden decompression causes nitrogen bubbles to form in the tissues of the body. It is suffered particularly by divers (who often call it the bends), and can cause pain in the muscles and joints, cramps, numbness, nausea, and paralysis. Also called caisson disease.More example sentences
- A long-standing mystery in marine biology is whether whales suffer from decompression sickness, aka the bends, after rapidly rising from the ocean depths.
- The majority of recreational divers with neurologic decompression sickness have an excellent recovery after prompt recompression therapy.
- The incidence of decompression sickness among recreational scuba divers is estimated to be one case per 5,000 to 10,000 dives.
More definitions of decompression sicknessDefinition of decompression sickness in:
- The British & World English dictionary