verb[no object] technical
(Of a crystal or an inclusion of something within a crystal) disintegrate audibly when heated.
More example sentences
- Some pyrrhotite is relatively unstable in humid environments, decrepitating like pyrite.
- Furthermore, much marcasite is highly unstable when exposed to the atmosphere and decrepitates quickly.
- The rock is so thoroughly altered it decrepitates on exposure to the atmosphere.
- More example sentences
- Mixed together with oxidisers, these compounds combust by producing small explosions or ‘decrepitation’ at the surface of the burning mixture.
- In this work, the decrepitation process was examined with regard to mechanical properties and microstructure.
- In addition, it also resists compaction and promotes decrepitation of the alloy.
Definition of decrepitate in:
- The British & World English dictionary