Definition of deerfly in English:
1A bloodsucking horsefly that attacks humans and other large mammals. It can transmit various diseases, including tularemia.
- Genus Chrysops, family Tabanidae: several species, including C. callidus, widespread throughout North America
- Biting flies common in the U.S. include the species Chrysops discalis (deer fly), Chrysops aestuans, Chrysops relictus, and Chrysozona pluvialis.
- Having the rabbit as my companion, albeit for only a short while, was a welcome distraction from the black deer flies attracted by my sweat.
2A bloodsucking louse fly that is a parasite of deer. It loses its wings on finding a host, and the female gives birth to fully grown larvae.
- Lipoptena cervi, family Hippoboscidae
- Swatting at mosquitoes and deer flies, the five picked their way through the Florida scrub, trying to avoid the briars and sawgrass sharp as a sword blade.
- The mosquitoes and horse and deer flies were out in force and bent on extracting blood and flesh.
- For years I had a terrible problem with face flies, deer flies and ticks.