- 1A person who defends someone or something: a defender of family valuesMore example sentences
- It is most unlikely that a determined defender of the cosmological line of reasoning would surrender even here.
- His strongest opposition came from defenders of vested interest in his own party.
- His image as a defender of the national interest made him popular among the masses.
- 1.1(In soccer, hockey, and other games) a player whose task it is to protect the team’s goal.More example sentences
- Traps are most effective when the two defenders cover two sides of the offensive player.
- With his back to goal and two defenders smothering him, he somehow manages to turn and make room for a shot, which he fires narrowly wide.
- Bizarrely it was the fifth time this season that Doncaster have cashed in on an own goal, although the defender knew little about it.
- 1.2 Bridge Either member of the partnership that did not win the auction. Compare with declarer.More example sentences
- If there is a declarer, however, the two defenders should form a temporary partnership to defeat the declarer.
- After the declarer and defenders are determined, each has the opportunity to discard and receive new cards.
- In each hand one partnership are declarers and the other are the defenders.
Middle English: from Old French defendeor.