- 1In a defensive manner: “No, I didn’t,” he replied defensivelyMore example sentences
- Her younger sister replied quickly and somewhat defensively, Grace noted.
- I asked, perhaps a little bit too defensively which, of course, gave me right away.
- Con quickly held his pistols by the barrels and brought them up defensively.
- 1.1(In sports) in terms of defense: we must tighten up defensivelyMore example sentences
- The team was successful in December because it was able to tighten the screws defensively.
- Falkirk came into the game and did tighten up defensively - what a pity for them they were three goals late in learning the lesson.
- Waterloo continued to tighten up defensively for the remainder of the game.
More definitions of defensivelyDefinition of defensively in:
- The British & World English dictionary