Definition of defervescence in English:
The abatement of a fever as indicated by a decrease in bodily temperature.
- The recurrence of fever after an initial defervescence suggests a septic or nonseptic embolic event, a drug hypersensitivity reaction or the emergence of a resistant strain.
- At the end of this phase defervescence occurs and the patient is usually afebrile for a day or two before the immune phase begins.
- During this time the vast majority of patients show clinical improvement, including defervescence, reduced cough, and weight gain.
early 18th century: from Latin defervescent- 'ceasing to boil', from the verb defervescere.
- Example sentences
- The patients who took longer than 48 hours to defervesce were clinically similar to those whose fevers responded faster to therapy.
- The patient defervesced and continued to receive red cell and platelet support.
- Several days after the onset, the patient will defervesce, with gradual neurological improvement over several days.
Definition of defervescence in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan