noun (plural definienda /-də/)
- A word, phrase, or symbol that is the subject of a definition, especially in a dictionary entry, or that is introduced into a logical system by being defined. Contrasted with definiens.More example sentences
- The former is defined, by the ancient logic texts I love, as when a definition uses the same terms in the definiens as in the definiendum.
- He required of definition that the definiens (the statement of definition) should be synonymous with the definiendum (the expression or concept being defined) but contain no terms in common with it.
- Consider as a definiendum a universal, such as man, and its definiens, rational animal.
late 19th century: from Latin, 'that which is to be defined', from the verb definire (see define).
More definitions of definiendumDefinition of definiendum in:
- The British & World English dictionary