Definition of deflagration in English:
1The action of heating a substance until it burns away rapidly.
- Other times, depending on the casement, whether it is plastic or metal, especially metal, it will do low order detonation, or what we call deflagration.
- Very few blast-resistant windows installed during the renovation of the structure that was begun in 1999 and scheduled for completion in 2010 broke during the impact and deflagration of aircraft fuel.
- Improper dispersal of the fuel aerosol or a mis-timed firing of the initiator could produce a large fireball, but the resulting deflagration would not produce the blast shock wave of the intended explosive detonation.
1.1 technical Combustion that propagates through a gas or across the surface of an explosive at subsonic speeds, driven by the transfer of heat. Compare with detonation.
- Explosives experts refer to rapid explosive reactions as detonation and slower explosive reactions as deflagration.
Definition of deflagration in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.