Definition of defrock in English:
1Deprive (a person in holy orders) of ecclesiastical status.
- Because it is a state church, however, the Lutheran Church cannot defrock him.
- The Dallas resolution made it much easier to defrock a priest for molesting a child.
- An Irish Protestant priest who faced being defrocked for publicly stating he did not believe in the divinity of Christ last night announced his resignation.
1.1 (usually as adjective defrocked) Deprive (someone) of professional status or membership in a prestigious group: a defrocked psychiatrist
More example sentences
- These defrocked workers are retraining for free in the city sponsored center, where they learn computer skills and facial massage.
- In line with the law he was defrocked, and the commandments plaque was removed.
- If you've accepted such behavior in the past and expect to continue this friendship in the future, it's wrong to insist on defrocking your friend.
Definition of defrock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan