- 1North American Remove frost or ice from (the windshield of a motor vehicle).More example sentences
- The system then tells the vehicle's vents to open, pre-warming the interior of the vehicle and defrosting the windshield.
- Car thieves made off with three cars where the engines had been left running to defrost the windscreens.
- This follows a spate of car thefts from driveways last winter, where engines were left running to defrost windscreens.
- 1.1Thaw (frozen food) before cooking it: defrost the turkey slowlyMore example sentences
- There are three ways to safely defrost food: under cold running water, in the microwave, and in the refrigerator.
- Instead of heading toward the bedroom, Al poked around in the kitchen, defrosting some bread and sausages for breakfast, checking out how Gus had supplied the larder this time.
- When I got back from Florida last night and I was cranky and tired and hungry for something sweet, I defrosted the shortbread dough that I froze a few weeks back.
- 1.2Free (the interior of a refrigerator) of accumulated ice, usually by turning it off for a period.More example sentences
- Regularly defrost manual-defrost refrigerators and freezers; frost buildup increases the amount of energy needed to keep the motor running.
- A small amount is used to keep the cabinet from sweating, to defrost the refrigerator, and to illuminate the interior.
- I remember my Mum defrosting the freezer regularly when I used to live at home and don't remember there ever being any great fuss, other than a day of eating food, so I thought I'd give it a go.
- More example sentences
- Switch on both front and rear defrosters and make sure the air conditioning is turned on.
- And when your shoes get wet, you can wedge them into the gap between the windshield and the shelflike dashboard, and turn on the defroster full blast.
- Spend some time on the road in the northern half of the U.S. and it is obvious that many drivers settle for too few minutes with the ice scraper, and too much haste for the defroster to do its job.
More definitions of defrostDefinition of defrost in:
- The British & World English dictionary