- 1Each of a number of independently variable factors affecting the range of states in which a system may exist, in particular.More example sentences
- Since rigid vibration is assumed, only a single degree of freedom exists, and structural relations within the organ of Corti should remain static during motion.
- Figure 8 shows the mathematical model of the temporary barrier system with the kinematic degrees of freedom.
- The explanation of this feature is that the model has more parameters than the degree of freedom of the system.
- 1.1 Physics A direction in which independent motion can occur.More example sentences
- Combintaroial rules give rise to quantum probabilities which describe an object with with discrete degrees of freedom which approximate direction in three dimensional space.
- Quantum wires have only 1 degree of freedom, and quantum dots have 0 degrees of freedom.
- Spatio-temporal chaotic phenomena, with additional degrees of freedom than other phenomena, change in both space and time.
- 1.2 Chemistry Each of a number of independent factors required to specify a system at equilibrium.More example sentences
- This may be explained by an increasing degree of freedom of the side chains of the aromatic amino acids.
- This is very important for folding simulation because the degrees of freedom of a protein molecule are very large and there are many local minima in the folding path.
- For an intermolecular disulfide bond within a beta-structure, segmental flexibility is less important because of the higher degree of freedom of the system of two separate molecules.
- 1.3 Statistics The number of independent values or quantities that can be assigned to a statistical distribution.More example sentences
- As a consequence, covariance matrices of the coordinate data are not of full rank, and the degrees of freedom for some statistical tests need to be adjusted.
- Even though in geometry 2 points define a line, empirical studies require at least 3 points to add an additional degree of freedom for statistical computations.
- The tabulated P value was calculated for every test statistic, using an F distribution with the appropriate degrees of freedom.
More definitions of degree of freedomDefinition of degree of freedom in:
- The British & World English dictionary