A ratlike rodent with a long silky coat, found in southern South America.
- Genus Octodon, family Octodontidae: three species
More example sentences
- Now the eight chipmunks and the two degus - a South American long tailed rodent that looks like a gerbil but is as big as a guinea pig - are being cared for by the RSPCA.
- More recently they have featured in the paper appealing for homes for animals ranging from an iguana to 48 degus - small brown rodents that look like a cross between a rat and a gerbil.
- The animals are looked after by a network of volunteer fosterers across Swindon, and currently include rabbits, dogs, cats and degus a type of rat-like rodent.
mid 19th century: from American Spanish, from South American Indian deuñ.
Definition of degu in:
- The British & World English dictionary