Definition of deinotherium in English:
noun (plural deinotheria-THi(ə)rēə or deinotheriums)
An elephantlike fossil mammal found mainly in the Pliocene epoch, the lower jaw having tusks that curve downward and backward.
- Genus Deinotherium, suborder Deinotherioidea, order Proboscidea
- Imagine a landscape inhabited by several kinds of elephantoids, deinotheres, three species of rhino, two species of hippo, and two species of giraffe.
- These ancient species were lying side by side with more advanced forms called deinotheres and gomphotheres, which were not previously known to exist until 20 million years ago.
- By the Early Miocene, deinotheres had grown to the size of a small elephant, and had migrated to Eurasia.
Definition of deinotherium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.