English or Dutch tin-glazed earthenware, typically decorated by hand in blue on a white background.
More example sentences
- The body is hand painted in polychrome enamels in the Bristol delft style and decorated with a figure of a Chinese gentleman beckoning to a distant flock of birds (estimate €1,500 - €2,000).
- Other British politicians are commemorated on excavated English delft punch bowls, including some found at Philipsburg Manor in New York that are inscribed ‘Pitt & Liberty.’
- Each wall is painted in a different color, such as fuchsia, delft blue or bright orange.
late 17th century (originally Delf ware): see Delft, where the pottery originated.
- More example sentences
- I'm now ready to tackle a temporary exhibition about the city's most famous export - the blue and white hand-painted pottery known as delftware.
- Also available is a wide selection of English delftware, pottery, brass and early needlework, and fine English country furniture.
- Although light in weight and less prone to chipping than delftware, this new refined earthenware was still not as durable as white salt-glazed stoneware.