1 (also demerara sugar) Partially refined light brown cane sugar coming originally from Guyana. Compare with turbinado sugar.
- Cream together the unsalted butter and demerara sugar until light and fluffy.
- He suggested toasted oats and hazelnuts, sultanas, raspberries, apple or orange juice, grated apple and a tablespoon of honey or demerara sugar, with natural yoghurt to bind it all.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter and demerara sugar together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2 (also demerara rum) A dark rum fermented from molasses, made in Guyana.
- Strain into a highball filled with ice and gently float the Demerara rum over the top - this will give it a strong nose and taste at the first sip.
- Anyway, today I picked up some Passion fruit juice so I could make the Demerara cocktail.
mid 19th century: named after the region of Demerara.