(in full metric demy)
Definition of demy in English:
1.1 (in full demy octavo) A book size, now standardized at 216 × 138 mm.
- In any press, the most frequently used sizes of pages are demy quarto (1/4), demy octavo (1/8), crown quarto and crown octavo.
- There are many standard formats Metric Demy Octavo (216 x 138. mm) or Metric Crown Octavo (186 x 123 mm) are common ones.
1.2 (in full demy quarto) A book size, now standardized at 276 × 219 mm.
- Reg, Following Pat's email, I think the old Hansard sizes were demy quarto but I could be mistaken.
- The book is very nicely got up by the publisher in format metric demy 4to (280 mm × 216 mm; 11 in × 8.5 in) and expertly set by the author.
Late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense 'half-sized'): from demi-, or from its source, French demi 'half'.
Definition of demy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.