Definition of den in English:
1A wild animal’s lair or habitation.
- He had a dank odor about him like the smell of a wild animal's den.
- In one set of trials, the researchers left variously colored concrete bricks and tiles around the animals' underwater dens for a few days, until they became accustomed to the objects.
- Animal dens were encountered on the east rib, indicating that the pocket had another opening and would, we hoped, increase in size.
1.1 informal A small, comfortable room in a house where a person can pursue an activity in private.
- So I looked on other shelves in the living room, in the den, in the bedroom, and in my office downstairs.
- These are the privileged few who had intimate meetings with the candidates in corporate suites and the private dens of the super rich.
- Another flight of stairs leads to a good sized attic room which could suit a variety of uses - a den, games room, home office or perhaps a teenager's bedroom.
1.2A place where people meet in secret, typically to engage in some illicit activity: an opium den a den of iniquity
More example sentences
- Bombed-out buildings house dens of illicit commerce, while bridges and river banks swarm with a second society.
- The City had obtained search warrants for various sites suspected of being dens of criminal activity, said communication's officer for the city.
- George and Tony took the gang back to their secret den to discuss what to do next.
haunt, site, nest, pit, hole;
1.3chiefly US A small subdivision of a Cub Scout pack.
- Cub Scouting members join a Cub Scout pack and are assigned to a den, usually a neighborhood group of six to eight boys.
- Once a month, all of the dens and family members gather for a pack meeting under the direction of a Cubmaster and pack committee.
verb (dens, denning, denned)[no object] Back to top
(Of a wild animal) live in or retreat to a den: the cubs denned in the late autumn
More example sentences
- This time he would stay until the snows came, to make sure the cubs denned up.
- We identified 617 disturbances on 72 trees that occurred during the time of year when polar bears were denning in the area and which we were unable to attribute to any other source.
- Polar bears denning in Norway and Russia near the North Pole carry some of the highest levels of toxic compounds ever found in living animals.
Words that rhyme with denAdrienne, again, amen, Ardennes, Behn, Ben, Benn, Bren, cayenne, Cévennes, Dairen, en, fen, gen, glen, Glenn, Guyenne, Gwen, hen, julienne, Karen, ken, Len, Loren, men, Nene, Ogaden, paren, pen, Penn, Phnom Penh, Rennes, Shenzhen, Sun Yat-sen, ten, then, Tlemcen, when, wren, yen, zazen, Zen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.