(Usually in place names) a vale, especially the deep, narrow, wooded valley of a small river: Rottingdean Deepdene
More example sentences
- Dene is a word from Northumbrian English used in Northumberland and Durham to refer to a steep-sided wooded valley through which a burn runs.
- Set within a spectacular incised valley, Holywell Dene is the only area of ancient semi-natural woodland remaining within North Tyneside.
noun (plural same)
1A member of a group of American Indian peoples of the Canadian Northwest and Alaska, traditionally speaking Athabaskan languages, and having collective representation in Canadian political life.
- Most Dene, most of the time, dress in clothing very like that worn in rural areas elsewhere in Canada.
- Dene were the first people to settle in what is now the Northwest Territories.
2Any of the languages of the Dene.
- Several Athabaskan languages are official languages in the Northwest Territories, including Dene Suline, Dogrib or Tlicho, Gwichin, and Slavey.
- Since Sapir, linguists have linked the Na-Dene languages to Asian languages, but their work is not conclusive.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Dene or their languages.
- In 2002, 32 athletes went to the games in Iqaluit and Nuuk, and won 20 medals, nine in the Inuit games and 11 in the Dene games.
- The pro-Native political message in the performance struck a chord with the Dene man.
- For some Dene language groups there are at present competing writing systems and different spelling practices.
From French Déné, from an Athabaskan word meaning 'people'.
Words that rhyme with Deneantennae, any, Benny, blenny, fenny, jenny, Kenny, Kilkenny, Lenny, many, penne, penny, Rennie Aberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.