Definition of denominator in English:
1The number below the line in a common fraction; a divisor.
- If you calculate the divergence for different species of plants, you find that both the numerator and the denominator are usually Fibonacci numbers.
- Strictly, all whole numbers can be written as fractions if we make the denominator (the part below the line) equal to 1!
- To convert a fraction to a percentage, divide the numerator by the denominator.
1.1A figure representing the total population in terms of which statistical values are expressed.
- We obtained data from the Russian State statistics committee, including deaths by cause, sex, five year age group, and calendar year together with corresponding population denominators.
- Our data represent an approximate denominator of 6000 athletes and shows a 10-year incidence of 1% stress injuries to bone.
- For each genus examined, the nominator gives the number of studied species and the denominator includes the total number of species.
Definition of denominator in:
- British & World English dictionary