Definition of denominator in English:
1The number below the line in a common fraction; a divisor.
- If you calculate the divergence for different species of plants, you find that both the numerator and the denominator are usually Fibonacci numbers.
- Strictly, all whole numbers can be written as fractions if we make the denominator (the part below the line) equal to 1!
- To convert a fraction to a percentage, divide the numerator by the denominator.
1.1A figure representing the total population in terms of which statistical values are expressed.
- We obtained data from the Russian State statistics committee, including deaths by cause, sex, five year age group, and calendar year together with corresponding population denominators.
- Our data represent an approximate denominator of 6000 athletes and shows a 10-year incidence of 1% stress injuries to bone.
- For each genus examined, the nominator gives the number of studied species and the denominator includes the total number of species.
Definition of denominator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan