noun (plural densities)
- 1The degree of compactness of a substance: a reduction in bone densityMore example sentences
- Because it is a weight bearing activity, skating can build bone density to a certain degree.
- Encouraging the consumption of this single food, milk, may have lasting implications for nutrient density, bone health and body weight.
- Syncopation in varying degrees of rhythmic density plays an important role in ‘Kohntarkosz.’
- 1.1 Computing A measure of the amount of information on a storage medium (tape or disk). For magnetic tape it is the amount of information recorded per unit length of tape (bits per inch or millimeter); for a disk, a fixed number of bits per sector, sectors per track, and tracks per disk: chip density doubles every eighteen months [as modifier, in combination]: a low-density 5.25-inch floppy disk a drive capable of handling high-density 1.44 megabyte disksMore example sentences
- With its incredibly high storage density, the DVD might just be the solution to two vexing problems.
- While in its early stages, the technology shows potential for high speed, high density storage of data, while retaining data even when power is turned off.
- One way to increase storage capacity is to increase the areal density of the medium.
- 1.2 Physics Degree of consistency measured by the quantity of mass per unit volume.More example sentences
- We are further informed that scientific theories fail at a singularity, which is an event involving infinite mass, density, pressure and temperature.
- The formula is easily derived by making assumptions about the mass density of the earth.
- That is based on its average density, calculated by dividing total mass by volume.
- 1.3The opacity of a photographic image.More example sentences
- While the imagery was similar, the format and the images' density were not.
- Hot and cool colors come together explosively within individual dishes, offering various effects of density and opacity.
- Phone based cameras don't yet have sufficient image density to compete with true digital cameras, but they will in a few short years.
- 1.4The quantity of people or things in a given area or space: areas of low population density a density of 10,000 per square mileMore example sentences
- The low population density in rural areas makes the provision of specialized mental health services in those areas impractical.
- It is not known why the understory of the Hermit forest had such uncharacteristically low total stem density and total basal area.
- The Government should develop a specific number of roads every year according to the traffic density of the area concerned.
early 17th century: from French densité or Latin densitas, from densus 'dense'.