- A person qualified to treat the diseases and conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones.More example sentences
- Most people have teeth removed under local anaesthesia by a general dentist or oral surgeon.
- Your dentist or dental hygienist can apply topical fluorides during dental visits.
- Visit your dentist or hygienist to have your teeth scaled and polished on a regular basis.
- More example sentences
- The advent of adhesive, tooth-coloured fillings has revolutionized restorative dentistry.
- Do you have training in a field such as psychology, medicine, social work or dentistry?
- If you have tooth decay or gum disease, this should be treated before any cosmetic dentistry is started.
mid 18th century: from French dentiste, from dent 'tooth', from Latin dens, dent-.