adjectiveChemistry , • historical
- Deprived of “phlogiston.” Oxygen was originally called dephlogisticated air by Joseph Priestley.More example sentences
- Burn a log in the fireplace, air carries off the phlogiston, and the dephlogisticated log reveals itself as a pile of ashes.
- When informed by Priestley about dephlogisticated air, Lavosier repeated the experiments quantitatively.
- After other attempts to release oxygen failed, Davy concluded that dephlogisticated muriatic acid gas was actually an element rather that a compound with oxygen.
More definitions of dephlogisticatedDefinition of dephlogisticated in:
- The British & World English dictionary