verb[with object] Physics
- Reduce or remove the polarization of: the threshold necessary to depolarize the membraneMore example sentences
- Light passing through such a liquid crystal can be polarized and depolarized by changing the field and has led to the liquid crystal displays we see in watches, microwaves, and laptop computers today.
- The positive charge that they carry produces a further membrane depolarization, which activates additional sodium channels, so depolarizing the membrane even further.
- The ability of the plasma membrane to depolarize remains functional in the rho cells as evidenced by the release of insulin with the depolarizing agent KCl.
- More example sentences
- Whereas increasing temperature accelerated fluorescence depolarization, increasing solvent viscosity slowed the process down.
- As the channel opens upon a depolarization, the trapped ion can escape to the intracellular medium increasing the stability of the bound toxin.
- Polarization or depolarization of the membrane voltage opens the gate subunits and permits a flood of calcium ions through the cell membrane.
More definitions of depolarizeDefinition of depolarize in:
- The British & World English dictionary