Definition of deputy in English:
noun (plural deputies)
1A person whose immediate superior is a senior figure within an organization and who is empowered to act as a substitute for this superior.
- Tomorrow I hand over the Principal Clerk's duties to my deputy.
- The National Railway Museum has appointed a new deputy head with a strong background in serving York's heritage.
- In May 1998, he was appointed deputy assistant commissioner with the Metropolitan Police.
assistant, substitute, stand-in, acting, reserve, fill-in, caretaker, temporary, provisional, stopgap, surrogate, interim
1.1A parliamentary representative in certain countries.
- Certain professions entailing privacy issues - such as priests, lawyers and parliamentary deputies - were excluded from the provisions of the law.
- A total of 349 million people were eligible to vote for the 732 deputies of the European Parliament.
- As the protest continued three parliamentary deputies attempted to discuss the teachers' concerns.
- historical Instructing another person to act in one’s stead; by proxy: the wardens of the forests performed important duties by deputyMore example sentences
- These clerks were appointed by patent for life, and were allowed to perform their duties by deputy.
- The Registrar shall discharge such duties in respect of examinations as may be delegated to him by the Senate and he may perform these duties by deputy.
- Colonial offices were often granted to men who had obligations and duties in England, who had no intention of leaving England, and who performed their colonial duties by deputy.
- Example sentences
- Formal request for resignation from a deputyship is dependent on the approval of the Parliamentary General Assembly.
- The deputyship presented an objection on the release sentence, the court accepted it and issued its sentence to call off the release.
- Moreover, our clients are persons who were occupied or are still occupied with politics and hold public deputyships.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan