Definition of derepress in English:
verb[with object] Biochemistry & Genetics
Activate (enzymes, genes, etc.) from an inoperative or latent state.
- About 3% of yeast genes are derepressed in tup1 mutants, as determined by microarray analysis.
- In addition, these mutations were able to derepress endogenous genes at HML.
- Starvation for histidine derepresses the entire operon, the longest then known.
- Example sentences
- Indeed, guk1 and hpt1 mutants share several phenotypes (adenine derepression, purine excretion, and 8-azaguanine resistance).
- The importance of the nucleosome in gene regulation is supported by the finding that mutations that alter intracellular levels of histones lead to transcriptional derepression of a variety of genes.
- This model also predicts that deletion of the Set1 histone methyltransferase would lead to the derepression of subtelomeric genes.
Definition of derepress in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan