- 1The skin.More example sentences
- The dermal-epidermal junction, papillary dermis, and reticular dermis were assessed separately.
- Mitotic figures are variably present, and tumor aggregates may extend into the reticular dermis or even subcutaneous fat.
- The reactive epithelium may extend into the superficial reticular dermis, simulating a carcinoma.
- 1.1 Anatomy The thick layer of living tissue below the epidermis that forms the true skin, containing blood capillaries, nerve endings, sweat glands, hair follicles, and other structures.More example sentences
- The thicker or inner layer of the dermis contains blood vessels, hair follicles, nerve endings, sweat and sebaceous glands.
- The middle layer, or dermis, contains connective tissue, small blood vessels, sweat and oil glands, nerves, and cells that produce collagen, called fibroblasts.
- The biopsy should include surrounding skin with underlying dermis and connective tissue so that the pathologist can evaluate the depth of stromal invasion.
- More example sentences
- Stromal retraction between tumor islands and dermal connective tissue was observed in 12 cases.
- The blood is fixed within damaged capillaries in the deep dermal plexus
- While the dermal layer has many capillaries, it has fewer nerve endings at sites other than the fingers.
- ( • rare )More example sentences
- At a dermic level, it gives back to the tissue its characteristic firmness and elasticity.
- A new biopsy showed the persistence of the dermic infiltration, compatible with ‘T’ cutaneous lymphoma.
- The cutaneous lesions are manifestly of the allergic type, the proteins of the microfilaria sensitizing the dermic tissues.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, suggested by epidermis.
More definitions of dermisDefinition of dermis in:
- The British & World English dictionary