- A small pistol that has a large bore and is very effective at close range.More example sentences
- With her help, they stockpiled an arsenal of shotguns, derringer pistols and an old AK - 47.
- But apparently, he already had his left hand on his backup gun, a derringer, in a pocket.
- I'd been to the pistol range the day before and completely forgotten the derringer in the back pocket of my purse.
mid 19th century: named after Henry Deringer (1786–1868), the American gunsmith who invented it.
More definitions of derringerDefinition of derringer in:
- The British & World English dictionary